Novo Projecto

Ola,

Wow, it’s been a month since my last post.  Life can run away with you like that some times.  I do have a legitimate reason: I got a new job. Because my position involved a very important project I had to spend the last several weeks on-boarding a new team.  Jiu-Jitsu took a backseat unfortunately.  If I got out to train once a week it was a a lot.

The one positive coming out of the disruption of my training was that I finally got started making my own grappling dummy.  I threw away the one I bought from MMAWarehouse after I moved into a new house.  Looking back on it, I wasted my money on it.  I should have just made my own from the start.  It really wasn’t that hard.

First, I bought the necessary information:

  • a pair of sweatpants.
  • a hoodie sweatshirt.
  • 4 pool noodles.
  • sewing needles and heavy duty thread.
  • Total price tag: $30.

Although I did use foam to stuff the “body” of the dummy, I didn’t pay for it.  A neighbor of mine was throwing away his sofa so I got the cushions off of it and used the foam in them.  I would highly recommend doing that instead of buying foam.

The first thing I did after I got my materials together was sew the “hands” and “feet” of the sweatsuit closed.  I used a technique I saw in this video (it starts at the 3:56 mark); it’s easy to do and when you’re done feels very strong.

I then stuffed the legs and inserted a pool noodle in each one.  Don’t cut them as you can use them to “insert” into the torso that you’ll make out of the sweatshirt; this adds structure to the entire creation.  Then, I stuffed the arms of the sweatshirt until I felt comfortable that they were filled enough that I could apply a technique without any issues.  I also stuffed the body a bit and the head.

I cinched the hood drawstrings as tightly as I could and then sewed the hole together.  Then, I took the remaining pool noodles and cute then to size such as they fit within the torso.  I used duct tape to bundle the noodles together (they’re flat laying, side by side with tape going around them to hold them together).  The noodle in the center of the bundle protrudes a bit so that it becomes the “neck” of the  head.

After inserting the bundle into the torso, I stuffed it a little more to give it form.  Then, and this is the tedious part, I sewed the torso to the legs.  I made sure to be really thorough with the stitches and doubled a lot of them.  When I was 3/4 of the way done, I stuffed that area of the body a little more and then finished the stitch.  Voila!  The grappling dummy was done.

I’ve used it 2 times so far and it works great.  No issues.  I can do any technique and I don’t have to deal with “dead weight” since it’s so light.  I really enjoyed this project and I’m considering talking to my BJJ friends to see if they would want one and I’d sell them.

Other than that the times I have been training have been very good.  I’ve been doing pretty well overall.  No real issues to speak of other than I’ve noticed that I really need to work on armbar escapes.  I’ve been getting tapped a bunch of times by them so I better start working on it.

That’s all for now.  I hope your training has been good and productive.

Chau e bom dia!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: